Born Young Newsletter
Volume 16 Number 4 Winter 2000-01
of Livingston County, New York
From “Biographical Review of the Leading Citizens of Livingston and Wyoming Counties, New York,” Biographical Review Publishing Co., Boston, 1895.
Elijah Youngs, a retired merchant of Geneseo, Livingston County, N. Y., ex-Sheriff and sometime farmer, was born at West Sparta, in this county, 17 October 1825.
His father, Elijah Youngs, Sr., a native of Connecticut, after marriage removed about the year 1815 to Cayuga County, NY, and resided there until 1818, when he again moved to that part of Ontario County now included in Livingston, purchasing a tract of timbered land in the town of West Sparta, which he proceeded to clear for cultivation.
In the log house that he built on his farm, and in which his children were born, Elijah Youngs, Sr. continued to live until his death, which occurred in 1832. The maiden name of his wife was Martha Palmer. Her parents, James and Pamelia Palmer, were pioneers of Cayuga County, having moved there from Connecticut.
Mrs. Martha Youngs died at the home of her son George W. Youngs, in Liberty, Jackson County, Michigan, in 1860. She had reared three sons—Elijah, William Morgan, and George W. The latter now resides in Jackson, Mich., and William M. in Jones County.
The first-born, Elijah, named for his father, pursued his studies in the district school at Union Corners in West Sparta, until 1836, when he went to Grass Lake, Mich., where he continued to attend school. Means of travel in those early days were, of course, exceedingly primitive, and his journey to the West was necessarily tedious.
Continued on page 2
|Inside This Issue|
|1-3||Elijah Youngs, Livingston Co, NY|
|3||Thomas Young of Wayne Co, IN|
|3-9||Youngs of Brown Co, OH|
|11||Clan Young Annual Meeting|
|11-12||S.E. Young of Madison Co, IN|
Born Young Newsletter
since 1985 ISSN 0885-1247
Vicki Young Albu, Editor
ELIJAH YOUNGS OF LIVINGSTON COUNTY, NEW YORK
Continued from page 1:
A team was the conveyance to Buffalo; thence he went by way of the Lakes to Detroit; and again by team to his destination. At this time nearly the entire State of Michigan was an unbroken wilderness, the land being owned by the government. Deer were abundant, and wolves and other wild animals roamed at will through the virgin forests.
After residing in Grass Lake for three years, young Elijah, aged fourteen, returned to Union Corners, and learned the shoe trade. In 1848 he moved to Tuscarora, and engaged in the manufacture and sale of shoes, continuing in this enterprise until 1866, when he decided to try farming, and for that purpose settled upon a place situated two miles south-west of Tuscarora.
After changing farms two or three times, his last venture as a farmer being at Nunda, in 1874 he was elected Sheriff and removed to Geneseo. Here in 1877 he built a block, and embarked in the hardware business, which he continued to carry on until 1889, when he sold the business to his sons, and he went into retirement.
In 1882 Mr. Young erected a summer cottage on the west side of Conesus Lake, one mile south of Long Point. This was the first summer residence erected upon the shore of the lake, and at present there are from one hundred to one hundred and fifty cottages already completed.
In 1848 Mr. Youngs married Miss Jane Suydam, daughter of Daniel P. and Cynthia Suydam of Mount Morris, she being twenty-one years of age at the time of her marriage. Their five children are as follows:
Charles A.; Clarence; Ella Jane; Fred, who married Martha Doty; and Frank E.
Mr. Youngs cast his first Presidential vote for General Taylor, and has been a Republican in politics ever since the party was formed. He was State Superintendent of Canals four years, and was appointed commissioner of recruits for the army in 1864. He was elected Sheriff in 1874, and also Supervisor of Nunda. He is a member of Mount Morris Lodge, No. 122, A.F. & A.M., and of Mount Morris Chapter, R.A.M., and is also a life member of Livingston County A.S. Society. Both himself and wife are members of the Presbyterian church.
Mr. Youngs, besides being a successful manufacturer, merchant, and farmer, and filling with signal ability many positions of public trust, has also shown himself a competent and trustworthy auctioneer, finding time amid his many other duties to transact a great deal of business, and effect many important sales. He is a man of marked intelligence, both in business and in other directions; and his faithful adherence to honest principles has given him a high place in the esteem of his fellow citizens of Livingston County. His portrait, which graces this collection of Livingston and Wyoming counties, is an unmistakable likeness of the original, and will be highly appreciated by many who know him.
Thomas N. Young (1817-)
Augusta County, VA via OH to Wayne County, IN
From History of Wayne County, Indiana, by Andrew W. Young, Cincinnati: Robert Clarke & Co., 1872.
Thomas N. Young, born in Augusta Co, VA, 23 Jan 1817, removed in 1833 from Ohio to this county with his father, who settled about 1-1/2 miles west of the town of Boston, where P. Shidler now resides.
Thomas commenced teaching school at the age of 18, and was engaged alternately in teaching and farming for a number of years. He married Mary Beard, a daughter of Peter Beard of Boston, and in 1848 removed to Richmond, and engaged in the grocery business, but returned to his farm in Boston in 1849.
In 1851, he returned to Richmond, and resumed the grocery and provision trade, in which he still continues. He was for several years a member of the city council; and in May 1867 was elected mayor, which office he filled acceptably for the regular term of two years. He had six children, besides one who died in infancy, namely, Augustus B., a practicing lawyer in Richmond; Charles W. and George F., partners of their father in trade; Peter W.; Mary V.; and Dora B.
Youngs in History of Brown County, Ohio
Chicago: W. H. Beers & Co., 1883
PLEASANT TOWNSHIP. Robert Young, of Robert Young & Co., Georgetown, proprietor of Georgetown Woolen Mills, was born near Belfast, Ireland in November 1829. He is a son of Robert Young, also a native of Ireland, and of Scotch descent. He was a farmer and linen weaver until his death, 7 June 1847. His mother was Isabella McClellan, also a native of Ireland and of Scotch ancestry.
Our subject grew up in Ireland, receiving a fair education. He early learned the linen weaver’s trade, and when nineteen years of age came to America. He first located at Philadelphia, where he learned in-grain carpet weaving, which trade he followed for a number of years.
In 1857, he came West, locating at Leesburg, Highland Co, OH, where he worked in a factory two and a half years. He went back to Pennsylvania in October 1859, where he remained till September 1861. He then came to Georgetown, at the solicitation of Warner & Ramey, proprietors of a woolen mill in the south part of the village. He worked for the firm ten months.
In August 1862, he enlisted in Company C, Eighty-ninth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving as a private till July 1865, when he received an honorable discharge; upon his return to Georgetown, Mr. Young once more became connected with the mill business, and some years ago became part owner of the mill, a sketch of which appears in another chapter [of the county history book].
Mr. Young is a member of the Good Templars and the Presbyterian Church. He is a Republican in politics, and has been a member of the Village Council for eight years, being again re-elected April 3, 1882. He was married at Philadelphia 6 June 1850 to Mary A. Robinson, a native of County Tyrone, Ireland. They have only one child—William A., in business with his father. Mrs., Young is a member of the Christian Church.
WILEY W. YOUNG
PLEASANT TOWNSHIP. Wiley W. Young, lawyer, Georgetown, was born in Lewis township, this county, 13 May 1834. His father, Omega Young, was a native of Tazewell Co, in Southern West Virginia, where he was born in 1798. He came to Ohio in 1816, locating at Higginsport, Brown County. He subsequently learned the shoe-maker’s trade at Cincinnati, and followed that at Higginsport until 1830. He then removed to a farm in Lewis Township, where he still resides.
At one time in his life, Mr. Young was a minister of the Christian denomination. Mr. Young’s mother was Nancy Stayton, a native of Lewis Township. She was the daughter of Jacob Stayton (an Englishman by birth and native of New Jersey) and Mary Wise, a cousin of Henry A. Wise, Governor of Virginia.
Our subject was the first son and fourth child of a family of fourteen children, eleven of whom are living. He was reared on the farm in Lewis Township, obtaining his early literary education in the district school, and subsequently attending the High School at Felicity, Clermont Co, OH.
He was a farmer and a school teacher in early life. In 1856, he commenced the study of law at Georgetown, with Hanson L. Penn, Esq., remaining with him till his admittance to the bar, in 1858. He soon after opened an office in Georgetown, and has been in constant practice since. He was a law partner of Judge D.W.C. Loudon for ten or twelve years, and in 1879 formed a partnership with W. S. Whiteman. The firm at once attained and enjoyed a successful law practice.
In 1871, Mr. Young was admitted to practice in the Federal Courts, and has also practiced some in Kentucky. His political views have been strongly Republican since the organization of that party.
Mr. Young was marred 14 Jan 1858 to Mary E. Graves, a native of Kanawha Co, West Virginia. Six children have been given them, two living—Elizabeth and Wiley W., Jr.
In 1847 Mr. Young accompanied his sister Felicity, Clermont County, on a visit. While there he met his great-grandmother, Martha Chaffant, who was then one hundred and six years of age (and lived fifteen months longer); his grandmother, Tabitha Chaffant, aged seventy-eight (and lived to be eighty-eight or eighty-nine years old); his aunt, aged forty, who with himself and sister, represented four generations. Mr. Young’s grandfather, Fountain Young, was with Gen. Harrison, and suffered death at the battle of Thames in 1813.
W. D. YOUNG
UNION TOWNSHIP. W. D. Young, attorney at law and Mayor of Ripley, is a son of Omega and Nancy (Slayton) Young, and was born 15 Apr 1836. He is a grandson of Fountain Young, who was a soldier in the late war with Great Britain, and killed at the battle of the Thames, in 1813.
Omega Young was born in Rockingham Co, NC 23 Mar 1797. He moved to Brown Co from Floyd Co, KY in 1807 and located in Higginsport. He was a shoemaker by trade, but afterward purchased a farm in Lewis Township, on which he settled and resided until 1853, when he removed to Pleasant Township, where he and his estimable lady are living in the full enjoyment of a ripe age.
The advantages of education were few and limited, and having a large family, he devoted his attention largely to their educational culture and improvement. Of the fourteen children that were born to him, eleven are living; nine of them were well qualified school teachers. He was an advocate of grammar and of temperance, and during his life acquired a thorough knowledge of history and theology. His distinguished loyalty to the Whig party and opposed sentiments to slavery were marked features of his well-spent life. At the organization of the Republican party, he united himself with it, and had since been an earnest advocate of its doctrines and principles.
The subject of this biography was reared and brought up on the old homestead farm. In 1854, at the age of eighteen, he left the harvest field in time to prepare himself, and went to the Southwestern Normal Institute at Oxford, Butler Co, OH, where he remained in the pursuance of his studies five weeks. His education prior to this was obtained in the district schools of his native place. In 1853, he engaged in teaching, which he followed up to 1860, devoting his spare time to the reading of law.
He entered the law office of Gen. Sellers and R. A. Bower of Georgetown, and in 1859 was admitted to the bar at Lebanon, OH. In 1860, he began the practice of law in Georgetown, and the same year edited the publication of the Brown County Republican, the first issue appearing on July 3. The following fall, he disposed of his interest to W. H. Sallyards. In 1861, he served three months in Company I of the Twelfth Regiment Ohio Volunteers, after which he returned to Georgetown. In the spring of 1862, he removed to Cincinnati and opened a law office, and remained until September 1863, when he took up his residence in Ripley.
He formed a partnership with Chambers Baird, with whom he continued until 1873, when the firm dissolved, and the subsequent fall Mr. Young formed partnership with C. A. Linn, now of Cincinnati. He remained with Mr. Linn as a partner till 1876, since which date he has been alone.
Mr. Young has been called upon to fill various offices of honor and trust. In 1876 he was chosen Mayor of Ripley, and April 4, 1882 was elected for the fourth term.
Mayor Young is a gentleman of honor and one of the most successful practitioners at the Brown County bar. He entered the arena of life with no resources but his own, and has through diligence and judicious use and improvement of opportunities, achieved an honorable and merited success. He has always displayed a prominent interest in all worthy public enterprises, and especially of an educational character.
In 1856 he assisted in the organization of the National Normal School at Lebanon, Ohio. He celebrated his marriage in 1862, with Miss Virginia Johnson, daughter of Baker Johnson, and a native of Camden Co, NJ. Six children were the fruits of this union; of these, four are living, viz: Cora, Hattie V., Eugene R. and Florence L. Willie B. and Clarence are deceased.
UNION TOWNSHIP. G. F. Young, tobacco dealer, Ripley, is a son of Robert L. and Mary (Dugan) Young, natives of Kentucky, who settled in Lewis Township, Brown County, in 1832. Her death occurred in that township in 1852. Prior to the rebellion, he was largely engaged on the river in freight transportation between Cincinnati and New Orleans, and ran the largest freight boat to and from those parts.
The vessel was finally lost, being crushed by a ship at New Orleans. Since the war, he has been extensively engaged in the tobacco trade in connection with his son, Alfred, and they are reputed as the largest dealers in the latter named city.
He retains his residence at Higginsport, where the subject of this sketch was born in 1844. In August 1862 he enlisted in the First Ohio Cavalry, Company F, and did active service until he was wounded at the battle of Stone River, and was honorably discharged from the service 16 April 1863.
Mr. Young became engaged in the pork and tobacco trade with Stephenson & Thompson of this city, with whom he has associated some years. In 1877 he established himself in the tobacco trade at his storehouse on Third street, where he has since been actively and successfully engaged. His shipments of tobacco average 100 hogsheads per annum, and he employs men who are constantly packing and shipping.
Mr. Young was joined in wedlock to Miss Hannah Stephenson, of Ripley, by Daniel Gaddis, on the 29th day of March, 1869. To this union two children have been born, one of whom is living, viz: Ada. George F. is deceased.
LEWIS TOWNSHIP. Omega Young, farmer, P. O. Georgetown, was born in Pennsylvania in 1795. He is a son of Fountain and Tabitha Young, natives of Virginia, of English descent.
Our subject came west at an early day, and received a liberal education in Cincinnati, which, at that time, was but a village. He settled in Lewis Township, Brown Co, in 1813, and has since made it his home.
He married Mary Cochran, who died soon after their marriage, and in 1824 he married Nancy Stayton, a daughter of Jacob and Mary (Wise) Stayton, and a niece of Gov. Wise. By this union fourteen children have been born, of whom eleven survive, viz: Mary J. (widow of Harvey McKibben, deceased), Indiana (wife of R. P. Bennington, of Ripley), Wiley W. (an attorney of Georgetown), Joseph (a farmer of Pike Township), William D. (an attorney of Ripley), Lizzie (wife of William Kantz), Maggie (wife of George H. Coulther of Clermont County), Lou M. (wife of Orlesta Church), and S. Frankie (wife of Dr. A. Harne of Chicago), James E. and H. Queen. The deceased are Martha, Thomas C., and Emma J.
Mr. Young is a man of literary tastes, and he has given all his children a liberal education. He has followed farming all his life, until within a few years, when he retired from active life. He resides two miles west of Georgetown, where he owns 105 acres of excellent farm land.
In the early part of his life, he took an active interest in politics, frequently taking the stump in his party’s behalf. He never sought or held any office other than the minor ones of his township. He is a Republican in politics, and takes a deep interest in the work of his party.
Mr. Young was for several years a minister of the New Light Church, but of late years he has not been identified with any church, but has for many years, and is now, very liberal in his religious views. He is one of the representative men of the county, and has always been classed with its better citizens.
LEWIS TOWNSHIP. Retired farmer of Higginsport, he is a son of William Young, Sr., and a grandson of William Lancaster, the latter serving in the war that freed our country from English tyranny, as mentioned in the sketch of Alfred N. Young.
William, whose name heads this sketch, was born in Bracken County, KY in 1802, and in March 1828 came to Ohio, where he has since resided, having been married on January 31 previous. His life has been devoted mostly to teaming and farming, but time has bent his frame and silvered his hair, and he now lives retired.
His children were twelve in number, seven daughters and five sons. Five are now living, of whom Daniel has given some time to the study of law, which he is practicing in Higginsport. Mrs. Matilda Young was born 24 January 1806 in Pennsylvania, and is a daughter of Stephen Calvin, who with his family located in OH in 1815, and in 1819 in Higginsport. He was one of the first settlers in the village, and will be mentioned in the history of the town.
Mr. and Mrs. Young have trod the path of married life for over a half century, and now look back with pleasure on the scenes in their early life.
ALFRED N. YOUNG
LEWIS TOWNSHIP. Alfred N. Young, dealer in leaf tobacco, Higginsport. This gentleman is of English extraction, and his grandfather William Young was of English parentage. The maternal great-grandfather, William Lancaster, was a patriot in the Continental war, and died in Indiana in 1843, at the very great age of 104 years.
William Young, above mentioned, and his wife, Susan Lancaster, were both natives of Virginia. She died in Bracken Co, KY in 1838, and he in Higginsport, OH in 1845, having been a resident of the State for four years.
Robert Young was born in Bracken Co, KY, 28 March 1812, reaching his sixteenth year in his native State; he then entered upon river life, which claimed his attention for over thirty years. At first, he was cook on a flat-boat, but by proper conduct soon became pilot for E. Thompson & Sons, boating to New Orleans. By frugality and industry he was enabled to commence business in 1842, upon his own responsibilities, which resulted favorably, and was continued until 1861, he leaving New Orleans the day Fort Sumter was fired on.
He returned home to Higginsport, OH, where he had resided since 1838, and for the past twenty years has been engaged in the leaf tobacco business.
His first marriage was celebrated 18 June 1840 with Mary, daughter of Jesse Dugan. Three children were given her, and her death occurred 18 January 1850. Subsequently, he married her cousin, Deborah, daughter of Basil Dugan, to whom three children have been given, two of whom still live.
The gentleman whose name heads this sketch was born 4 March 1841 in Higginsport, OH. He was reared in his native village, where he received the benefit of the public schools of the town, improving his education at the Cincinnati Commercial College.
In September 1861, he entered the military service in Company F, First Ohio Light Artillery, participating in the battles of Shiloh, Perryville, Chickamunga and Mission Ridge, serving until 28 September 1864, when he was discharged at Columbus, OH, having risen to the rank of Sergeant of his battery.
He returned home uninjured, and was engaged in boating down the river until his marriage with Miss Amanda Devore, 26 December 1866. He then engaged in the leaf tobacco trade in Cincinnati, OH, residing in Newport, KY.
This received his attention until 1870, when he accepted the position of United States Census Marshal of Campbell Co, KY, and on 24 September of the same year, he was commissioned as Consul to Santiago de Cuba. He entered upon his new duties and remained there until 5 December 1876. During his term of office, the steamer Virginius was captured and brought into the port—Santiago.
He with his family returned to Higginsport, OH where they have since resided, and devoted his time to the leaf tobacco trade, for a while, in partnership with his father.
Mr. Young is yet a young man, and has not only filled honorable positions, but has honorably discharged his duties. He is well situated in life, occupying one of the good residences of Higginsport, OH. He and wife have one son, Frank L., born 22 December 1867.
Joseph Young, farmer, P. O. Sureyville, was born in Lewis Township, Brown Co, OH 29 May 1834, and is a son of Omega and Nancy Young. Omega was born in NC, emigrated to VA when a boy, remained there a while and then pressed forward to KY, and after living in Kentucky for a time, he emigrated to Ohio in 1853, when he settled in Lewis Township, four miles north of Higginsport, where he now resides.
Joseph is the second son and fifth child of the family. He was united in marriage with Mary Ann Loudon, 16 Feb 1865. He acquired a common school education, and has been engaged in teaching in the common schools of Ohio for a number of years. He owns seventy-four acres of land in Pike Township, where he resides.
Mr. and Mrs. Young are the parents of six children, of whom five survive—Nancy S., Omega D., Nellie G., Mary B., and Jessie V. Mr. Young’s record is such that his children may point to it with pride. Himself and wife have been members of the Methodist Church for a number of years.
V. B. YOUNG
A farmer of Mt. Oreb, V. B. Young was born in Brown Co, OH 13 May 1847. He is a son of Thomas F. and Sarah Young. His education was acquired in the common schools of Brown County and the Normal
School of Lebanon, OH. He was raised a farmer and has been engaged in agricultural pursuits and teaching and has taught in the common schools for over fifteen years. He was married 8 Jul 1870 to Isabella Patten. After his marriage he bought 51 acres of land where he now resides. Mr. and Mrs. Young are the parents of three children, all living—Ruella, born 29 May 1871; Flora, born 30 Jan 1874; and O. A., born 25 Nov 1880.
The venerable subject of the following sketch was born in Rensselaer Co, NY, 20 Dec 1802; his parents emigrated to the Northwest in 1816 and settled on a tract of land lying on Eagle Creek, in Franklin Township, Brown Co, OH. There Mr. Young was employed in farming for many years, and here, 12 Apr 1821, he was married to his estimable wife.
Mrs. Young, whose maiden name was Nancy Spires, was six years the senior of her husband, having been born 2 Dec 1796. Recently they commemorated the sixty-first anniversary of their happy marriage by a birthday festival, which was joined by three persons, who were guests at the wedding feast sixty-one years ago; they were John Spires, Mrs. Sallie Smith, and Mrs. Jane Peddicord, brother and sisters of Mrs. Young.
Fifteen years after his union with Miss Spires, that is to say in 1836, he moved to his present home in Scott Township, having previously bought of Garland Anderson the mill, then known as the “Anderson mill,” and a farm of seventy acres, attached, for $4,000. Mr. Young has since added several hundred acres to his original purchase, and is now one of the largest land owners in the county.
When the cholera broke out in 1849, in New Hope, he left his farm and business and devoted his whole attention to caring for and cheering the sick and dying. He and Martin Gotts and Perry Applegate took a mutual pledge to give their time, their energy, and if need be, their lives to the heroic conquest of the dread scourge. They faithfully kept the pledge, but at the cost of two lives—Gotts and Applegate—who fell victims to the enemy.
Mr. Young has always been an ardent upholder of the party whose father was Jefferson. He has been called to fill offices of trust and profit, both in the township and county; he was Township Treasurer for many years; was three times elected a Justice of the Peace; and in 1852 was chosen Sheriff of Brown County. He is a member, or was, of White Oak Lodge, No. 292, and an earnest working Mason. Four children were the issue of his matrimonial alliance—Richard, Matilda Reynolds, Lucinda, and Robert, of whom only the second child, Matilda, is living.
Clan Young Society
New Hampshire Highland Games
September 14-16, 2001
The Clan Young Society has selected Loon Mountain, NH as the site of its next annual meeting. Clan Young is a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving Scottish traditions and history of Scottish YOUNG families.
Considered the premier Highland Games in the U.S., this event will feature entertainment from Scotland and North America and represents the best of Celtic and Gaelic cultures. There will be piped bands, competitions including golf tournament, sheepdog events, highland dancing, Scottish fiddling, athletic events and a tug-o-war challenge.
Further information is available on the Clan web site, http://www.clanyoung.org.
S. E. YOUNG of Madison County, Indiana
From “Portrait and Biographical Record of Madison and Hamilton Counties, Indiana,” Chicago, Biographical Publishing Co., 1893.
S. E. Young, President of the National Bank of Alexandria, and a man of sound judgment and rare financial ability, is one of the largest capitalists of the city, to the promotion of whose interests he has long untiringly devoted himself…
A native of Butler County, Ohio, Mr. Young was born near Hamilton 4 Apr 1838. His father, Samuel Young, born in PA in 1792, was one of six brothers, and had two sisters.
The paternal grandfather, with his family of eight children, emigrated from PA to OH about 1808, and as a pioneer settler, made his home in Butler Co, near the present site of Cincinnati. A farmer by occupation, and a man of upright character and industrious habits, he prospered, and, heroically sharing all the privations and sacrifices of frontier life, he cleared, cultivated, and improved a homestead. He and his good wife, while fording the Big Miami Rover at Trenton on horseback, were drowned, their untimely death being universally mourned.
The family reaching adult age scattered, and the old pioneers have been extensively and worthily represented by numerous enterprising descendants in the broad west.
An uncle of our subject, James Young, the eldest of the grandfather’s children, was a farmer by occupation in early life, but later built and operated a flouring-mill in Collinsville, OH.
In those days there was but very little money in circulation in that part of the country, and everything was paid for in trade. The flour was shipped down the river on rafts to New Orleans. The father, Samuel Young, worked in this mill for his elder brother at $8 per month, and at one time accompanied his brother down the river on a raft, going to New Orleans, and as they could not sail up the river, they had to walk the entire distance back.
Samuel Young afterward entered land from the Government at $1.25 an acre, and resided continuously on this land for three-score years. He made a fortune and gave to each of his children as they arrived at their majority $2,000.
Samuel Young was twice married, and unto his first union were born two children, Josiah and Hannah. The latter married James Irwin, a successful farmer now residing in Billingsville, IN. The second wife, Ruhamah McCane, the mother of our subject, was born in Warren Co, OH, and was a descendant of one of the most prominent families of the Buckeye state. The McCanes continue to hold every year a reunion of the numerous branches of the old family on the Wabash River. One of the sisters married a Mr. Ramsey, the proprietor of a large tannery in Crawfordsville, who, at his death left an estate worth $300,000.
Unto the mother, who passed away in 1852, were born ten children.
James, a wealthy agriculturist of Preble Co, OH, has given to each of his eight children eighty acres of land, and yet owns a valuable farm of three hundred acres.
Sarah, the wife of Phillip Davis, a wealthy farmer of Wabash, IN, has seven or eight children;
Maria, unmarried and living in Hamilton, OH, is worth $50,000 or $60,000, our subject looking after her business interests.
Malinda married Burns Wilson, an enterprising farmer near Seven Mile, in Butler Co, OH. Mr. Wilson died some six or seven years ago, and Mrs. Wilson yet resides there. She is the mother of four sons and four daughters.
Julia married John Hinsey, who died leaving no children, and his widow wedded David Young, who some years later died and left to his wife and three children an ample fortune. Mrs. Julia (Young) Young resides near Collinsville, Ohio. Ruhamah was a teacher, and died in early womanhood. Dorcas was educated at Oxford and married Joseph Carle, a miller and grain dealer, once a partner of our subject in Anderson, but at the time of his death, the summer of 1893, was living at Hamilton, where his widow and one child now live.
Our subject attained to manhood upon his father’s farm, and received the primitive education afforded by the district school of the home neighborhood. Soon after the breaking out of the Civil War, Mr. Young entered the service of the Government, enlisting in the One Hundred and Sixty-seventh Ohio Infantry, and a portion of the time acted as a scout.
In 1867 he located permanently in Indiana, and engaged in the grain and agricultural business in Anderson, where he remained until January 4, 1873, when he bought the flouring mill in Alexandria, and in 1877 built his elevator. In 1892, our subject sold the mill and elevator. Mr. Young made a most profitable investment in 1882, when he purchased three hundred and twenty acres of land near Alexandria, for which he paid $14,500, and sold it within the past year for $47,000.
In 1890, our subject, with four other parties, organized the Anderson Banking Company at Anderson, with a paid-up capital of $100,000, each putting into the financial venture $20,000 in cash. Mr. Young still retains his interest in the Anderson Bank, and was a stockholder in the old Alexandria Bank… He has been connected with nearly every enterprise of importance that has forwarded the vital interests of the city…
…Now numbered among the wealthiest men of Madison County, Mr. Young has also generously aided in good works. His family has been prominently connected with the Presbyterian Church, and his father, a strict church member, was a liberal giver.
Politically a Republican and deeply interested in local and national issues, Mr. Young, absorbed in business interests, has refused to accept proffered nominations to public office outside of local positions in which he might be of special benefit to his fellow townsmen. On 3 June 1783, S. E. Young and Miss Elizabeth Van Winkle were united in marriage. Mrs. Young was a daughter of James Van Winkle, a well known pioneer of Madison County, and a sister of John Quincy Van Winkle, the General Superintendent of the Big Four Railroad, with headquarters at Indianapolis. Our subject and his estimable wife have but two children: Earl Edgar, a promising lad thirteen years of age, and Quincy Van Winkle, aged three… (end)