Born Young Newsletter
Volume 17 Number 1 Spring 2001
Some Youngs of
Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania
From “Biographical and Portrait Cyclopedia of Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania.” by Samuel T. Wiley, edited by Henry W. Ruoff, published by Rush, West & Co., Philadelphia, 1893.
GEORGE H. YOUNG
was born in Bloomsburg, Columbia County, PA on 15 Feb 1855, a son of George H. and Catherine (Deisinger) Young.
“His father was a native of Germany, born in 1815, and emigrated to the U. S. in the year 1846. In his native country he had followed the occupation of mining, but after his arrival in America, he engaged in contracting, and later became an overseer of ore mines located near Bloomsburg. In 1863 he, together with his family, moved to Mahanoy City, where he engaged in mining coal for a time, and where he died in August 1872.
“He was a democrat of the pronounced type and during the entire period of his citizenship in this state never missed an election. In his religious views he held to the doctrines of the Roman Catholic church, of which he was a consistent and a devout member. Aside from his connection with the church, he was for a time an instructor in German at the Catholic school located in Mahanoy City.
“His marriage was blessed by the birth of six children that reached maturity: Elizabeth, wife of John Bosche, a miner living in St. Clair; Wendell W., a miner living in St. Clair; George H., our subject; Mary, married to M. J. Whitaker, a teacher of Shenandoah; Barbara and Anna.”
Continued on page 2
|Inside This Issue|
|1 – 4||Youngs in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania|
|5 – 6||Baptists in Virginia|
|6 – 8||U.S. Congressional Members|
|8 – 12||Youngs of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania (part 1)|
Born Young Newsletter
since 1985 ISSN 0885-1247
Vicki Young Albu, Editor
Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania
Continued from Page 1
“George H. Young came with the family to Mahanoy City, where he received his preliminary education, and at the age of twelve years began working in the mines. Here he continued until the year 1886, and was gradually promoted from time to time until he reached the position of inside foreman of the West Lehigh colliery at Tamaqua, Pennsylvania, operated by the firm of Dunkelberger & Co. He continued in this place during the succeeding four years, and in the year 1889 passed an examination for the position of mining foreman, and received a foreman’s certificate. During the next year, he took charge as inside foreman of the Oak Hill colliery at Minersville, this county, owned and operated by Leisenring & Co. Subsequently he leased with John B. Maley the Emerald colliery, located near New Street, and owned by the Philadelphia and Reading Coal and Iron Company, which has since been operated with a very creditable degree to success under the firm name of Young & Maley. Of this colliery, Mr. Young is superintendent, and the entire supervision of the colliery falls to his lot. The annual output of the mine is about six thousand tons.
“Mr. Young is a democrat in politics, and a member of the German Catholic church. On 28 January 1879, he was united in marriage with Lizzie, a daughter of Peter and Mary (Betz) Maley of Shenandoah, PA, by whom he has six children: Mary A., William G., George J., Theressa L., and Frank F.”
Col-lier-y /kólyree/ n. (pl. –ies)
A coal mine and its associated buildings.
“John Young, one of the proprietors of the Sharp Mountain colliery at Tamaqua, Pennsylvania, is a son of John and Mary Young, and was born in Germany, 26 September 1849.
“John Young, Sr., father, was the only one of his ancestry who came to America. He was born in the Kingdom of Prussia, Germany, in the year 1825. He received his education in his native land, and emigrated to the United States in the year 1852, first locating in Pottsville, where he lived until 1858, when he removed to Ashland, Schuylkill county, in which latter place he died in 1861.
“His wife was also a lady of German nativity and ancestry, and bore him several children, one of whom, Peter, at the time of his death, was a resident of Tamaqua and connected with the firm of W.C. Dunkelberger & Co., proprietors and operators of the Sharp Mountain colliery. The other members of the family are John, subject; Jacob, deceased; George, a clerk in Tamaqua; Henry, deceased; and Joseph, in the hotel business at Mt. Carmel, Northumberland county, PA; and Caroline, the wife of W.C. Dunkelberger, of the firm of W.C. Dunkelberger & Company.
“John Young received his education in the common school of Pottsville, PA, and first began the conduct of a restaurant in Philadelphia for two years, and from there to Pottsville, which he continued for sixteen years. At the end of that time, upon the death of his brother Peter, he took his brother’s position in the firm of William C. Dunkelberger & Co., and has since been wholly occupied in the management and operation of the colliery owned by that firm. On 25 February 1876, he was united in marriage with Catherine Snyder, a daughter of August and Mary Snyder of Ashland. In politics Mr. Young is a democrat, and religiously is a member of the Roman Catholic church.”
wife of W.C. Dunkelberger
Note: As is the usual case, here we learn very little about “the missus” from the county history’s biographical section. But at least we have the maiden name and the names of her parents.
“William C. Dunkelberger, a well-known member of the firm of Dunkelberger & Co., coal operators of Tamaqua, Schuylkill county, PA, is a son of Samuel B. and Harriet (Hoffman) Dunkelberger, and was born in Northumberland county, PA on 16 January 1857.
“Jonathan Dunkelberger, his grandfather on the paternal side, was a resident during the greater part of his life of Eastern PA, but during his declining years he went west, and died in the state of Iowa a few years after taking up a residence in that state. By occupation he was a farmer and a miller.
“The father of William C. Dunkelberger was born in Northumberland county, PA in 1825, of which county he was a resident his entire life, with the exception of fourteen years, which he spent in Schuylkill county. He was deceased in Tamaqua, in the latter county, in November 1891. During his youth he had learned the business of milling with his father, and to this, later in life, had added the trade of stone-mason. He was a republican in politics, in which party he took a nominal interest only. He was united in marriage to a daughter of Jacob Hoffman, of Northumberland county, PA, who bore him a family of six children, three sons and three daughters.
“William C. Dunkelberger was united in the bonds of marriage with Caroline Young, a daughter of John and Mary Young, of Locust Dale, Schuylkill county, PA, in August 1884. His wife has borne him two children, William and Mary.
“He received his elementary education in Northumberland county, PA, where he lived until he reached the age of twelve years. Subsequently the family moved to Locust Dale, Schuylkill county, and there remained until 1884. During the greater part of this time down to 1882, he had been an employee of the mines, but at the close of that year he engaged in the hotel business in Locust Dale, and continued down to 1885, when he opened a store in association with George Young, under the firm name of Young & Dunkelberger. Within a few years this partnership was dissolved and he removed to Tamaqua, where he began coal operating with John Young and Charles H. Weldy as partners, under the firm name of Dunkelbergere & Co. In this latter business he has continued doing to the present time. The colliery is located near Tamaqua…”
Wife of Prof. Michael J. Whitaker
“Professor Michael J. Whitaker, the principal of the Gilberton public schools, is the son of Thomas and Mary (Dermody) Whitaker, and was born at Westwood, near Pottsville, Schuylkill county, PA, on 6 August 1854.
“Michael J. Whitaker was joined in the bonds of matrimony with Mary Young, a daughter of George H. and Catherine Young, of Yatesville, on 7 August 1876, by whom he has had four children: Bernard, Harry, Clement, and Aloysius. Professor Whitaker received his education in the common schools of the county and at select schools at Port Carbon, Schuylkill county.
“He commenced teaching at the age of about fourteen years, and has been continuously engaged in that business for a period of twenty-six years, and throughout the whole of his career his work has been confined to Schuylkill county. His first principalship was at Park Place, Schuylkill county, and afterwards at Yatesville, at the latter of which place he taught twelve years, then came to Gilberton, where he has continued since 1883. His present duties consist in a general supervision over five schools, together with the direct conduct of the advanced recitations. In politics, he is a democrat.
“Professor Whitaker is one of the oldest, in point of service, and most popular teachers in Schuylkill county. He has had a large and successful experience, has grown up almost in the school-room, and is thoroughly familiar with the methods and routine of public school work. He manifests tact, skill, and evinces a sufficient scholarship to advance the public schools of Gilberton to their rightful place in the public school system of the county.”
Baptists in Virginia
From “A History of the Rise and Progress of the Baptists in Virginia,” by Robert B. Semple, Minister of the Gospel in King and Queen Co, VA, Revised and extended by Rev. G. W. Beale, published 1894 at Richmond, VA, by Dickinson Publishers.
“Reed’s Church lies in the lower end of Caroline (county), having members in the upper end of King William… The church was located ten or twelve miles south of Bowling Green. It changed its name many years ago to Mt. Horeb… John Young became a preacher, and was ordained pastor. In 1798 Mr. Young moved to Albemarle, VA…”
“Considering the date at which the Baptists began to preach within the limits of this church, it might reasonably be expected that persecution more or less attended them. Nor will this expectation be disappointed. Mr. Young was committed to jail for preaching, and there kept for four months, until he appealed to the general court, and by a writ of habeas corpus was carried to Williamsburg. Elder H. Pitman was once taken up and threatened to be whipped, but was discharged without any further injury.”
Here is an example of a warrant issued for the arrest of Baptist preachers in August 1773:
To the Sheriff or any Constable in this county:
“Whereas we have received information that Nathaniel Saunders and William McClannahan, stiling themselves Protestant dissenters, does teach and preach contrary to the laws and usages of the Kingdom of Great Britain, raising sedition and stirring up strife amongst His Majestie’s liege people.
“Therefore in His Majestie’s name we require you, Samuel Ferguson and John Lillard, to take Nathaniel Saunders and William McClannahan and their abettors and bring same before justice of the peace for the said county to be examined touching the charge, and we do hereby command all His Majestie’s subjects to be aiding and assisting in the due execution thereof…”
Elder John Waller was a Baptist preacher who wrote the following letter while being held in the Middlesex County jail; he mentions the John Young, mentioned earlier:
“Urbanna Prison, Middlesex county, August 12, 1771:
“Dear Brother in the Lord:
“At a meeting which was held at Brother McCan’s, in this county, last Saturday, while Brother William Webber was addressing the congregation from James ii, 18, there came running toward him, in a most furious rage, Captain James Montague, a magistrate of the county, followed by the parson of the parish and several others, who seemed greatly exasperated. The magistrate and another took hold of Brother Webber, and dragging him from the stage, delivered him, with Brethren Wafford, Robert Ware, Richard Faulkner, James Greenwood, and myself, into custody, and commanded that we should be brought before him for trial.
“Brother Wafford was severely scourged, and Brother Henry Street received one lash from one of the persecutors, who was prevented from proceeding to further violence by his companions. To be short, I may inform you that we were carried before the above-mentioned magistrate, who, with the parson and some others, carried us one by one into a room and examined our pockets and wallets for fire-arms &c., charging us with carrying on a meeting against the authority of the land.
“Finding none, we were asked if we had license to preach in the county; and learning we had not, it was required of us to give bond and security not to preach any more in this county, which we modestly refused to do; whereupon, after dismissing Brother Wafford, with a charge to make his escape out of the county by twelve o’clock the next day on pain of imprisonment, and dismissing Brother Faulkner, the rest of us were delivered to the sheriff and sent to close jail, with a charge not to let us walk in the air until court-day.
“Blessed be God, the sheriff and jailer have treated us with as much kindness as could have been expected from strangers. May the Lord reward them for it! Yesterday we had a large number of people to hear us preach; and among others, many of the great ones of the land, who behaved well while one of us discoursed on the new birth. We find the Lord gracious and kind to us beyond expression in our afflictions. We cannot tell how long we shall be kept in bonds; we therefore beseech, dear brother, that you and the church supplicate night and day for us, our benefactors and our persecutors.
“I have to inform you that six of our brethren are confined in Caroline jail, viz., Brethren Lewis Craig, John Burrus, John Young, Edward Herndon, James Goolrick, and Bartholomew Choning. The most dreadful threatenings are raised in the neighboring counties against the Lord’s faithful and humble followers.
“Excuse haste. Adieu.
“John Young removed to Amherst county, after having labored in Caroline for twenty-six years. For a time previous to his death he was laid aside from pastoral labors by the infirmities of old age. He died 16 April 1817, and was succeeded by William Duncan. A son of his – George Whitefield Young – became an eminently useful minister in the Big Hatchie Association, of Tennessee, and was repeatedly called to act as president of the West Tennessee Baptist Association.”
“…The church at Upper College is so called from many of their members living on and about the lands appropriated for the use of the College of William and Mary. The Gospel was first brought into these parts by Elder John Young and others. Their first pastor was Elder John Courtney; under his care the church prospered. When he moved to Richmond they made choice of Elder William Breeding; he was a pious and zealous preacher, and under his care they had in the years 1788 and 1789 a great revival; great numbers were baptized; but Mr. B., exerting himself beyond his strength, broke a blood vessel, and died not long after with the puking of blood. Elders Courtney, Toler, Breeding, Abraham, Whitlock, and Brame are sons of this church. (The name was afterwards changed to Sharon.)”
Is there a politician in your family tree?
Members of United States Congress Named Young
From “A Biographical Congressional Directory, 1774 to 1903,” compiled under the authority of Congress, published at Washington by the Government Printing Office in 1903.
Concurrent Resolution of Congress, passed 10 February 1903: “Resolved by the House of Representatives (the Senate concurring), That there be printed, and bound in cloth, three thousand copies of a Congressional Directory which embraces the biography of all members of Congress from the Continental Congress to the Fifty-seventh, inclusive, compiled by O. M. Enyart, two thousand copies for the use of the House of Representatives and one thousand copies for the use of the Senate.”
Editor’s note: One copy of the book was found at the Carnegie Public Library in Charleston, Illinois.
Young, Augustus, 1785 – 1857
He was born at Arlington, VT, 20 Mar 1785; received a liberal education; studied law and commenced practice at Stowe; member of the State house of representatives for twelve sessions and of the State senate for three terms; State attorney for Orleans County and judge of probate; elected a Representative from Vermont to the Twenty-seventh Congress as a Whig; declined a reelection; resumed practice; moved to St. Albans in 1847 and died there 17 June 1857.
Young, Bryan R.
Was a native of Kentucky; elected a Representative of KY to the Twenty-ninth Congress.
Young, Casey, – 1898
Casey Young was born in Madison County, Tenn.; a lawyer by profession; elected a Representative from TN to the Forty-fourth, Forty-fifth, Forty-sixth and Forty-eighth Congresses as a Democrat; died in 1898
Young, Ebeneezer, 1784 – 1851
Was born at Killingly, Conn., in 1784; graduated from Yale College in 1806; member of the State senate 1823 – 1825; member of the State house of representatives 1826 – 1828; chosen speaker; elected a Representative from Connecticut to the Twenty-first, Twenty-second, and Twenty-third Congresses; died at West Killingly, CT, 18 Aug 1851.
Young, James Rankin, 1847 –
Of Philadelphia, PA. Was born at Philadelphia 10 Mar 1847; educated in the public schools; entering the Central High School in 1862; enlisted with a number of the professors and students in June 1863, in the 32nd Pennsylvania Infantry, and served during the Gettysburg campaign; made a tour of the Southern States soon after the war as a correspondent of the New York Tribune; served as chief of the Washington bureau of the New York Tribune from Jun 1866 to Dec 1870; chief executive clerk of the United States Senate from Dec 1873 to March 1879; chief clerk of the Department of Justice from Sep 1882 to Dec 1883; again chief executive clerk of the United States Senate from Dec 1883 to Apr 1892; one of the founders of the Philadelphia Evening Star in 1866; elected to the Fifty-fifth Congress as a Republican; reelected to the Fifty-sixth and Fifty-seventh Congresses.
Young, John, 1802 – 1852
Was born at Chelsea, Vermont 12 Jun 1802; moved to New York City in 1806 and located at Conesus, where he received a public school education; studied law; admitted to the bar in 1829, and began practice at Geneseo, NY; member of the State house of representatives in 1833, 1844 and 1845; elected a Representative from New York to the Twenty-fourth Congress as a Whig, vice P.C. Fuller, resigned; declined a reelection; elected a Representative from NY to the Twenty-seventh Congress as a Whig; governor of New York State 1847 – 1849; delegate to the Whig national convention of 1848; assistant treasurer of the United States at New York; died at New York City 23 Apr 1852.
Young, John D., 1823 –
Born in Bath County, KY 22 Sep 1823; received a limited education; studied law, and admitted to the bar; farmer; elected judge of Bath quarterly court in 1858; elected a Representative from KY to the Fortieth Congress, but was refused his seat; elected to the Forty-first Congress as a Democrat.
Young, Pierce M.B., 1839 – 1896
Born at Spartanburg, SC 15 Nov 1839; studied law; student at West Point Military Academy, and resigned two months before graduating to enter the Confederate army as second lieutenant, and surrendered in 1865 as a major-general; returned to Georgia and elected a Representative from GA to the Fortieth, Forty-first, and Forty-third Congresses as a Democrat; died in 1896.
Young, Richard M., 1796 – ca. 1852
Was born in Kentucky in 1796; a Presidential elector on the Jackson and Calhoun ticket in 1829; a United States Senator from Illinois as a Democrat 1837 – 1843; Commissioner of General Land Office 1847 – 1850; Clerk of the House of Representatives in the Thirty-first Congress; died at Washington, DC about 1852.
Young, Thomas L., 1832 – 1888
Thomas L. Young was born at Killeagh, County Down, Ireland, 14 Dec 1832; emigrated to the U.S. when a boy; entered the U.S. Army during the Mexican War, and served until 1857; studied law, and taught school at Cincinnati until the commencement of the war of the rebellion; entered the volunteer army in 1861 as first lieutenant, and promoted to captain, major, lieutenant-colonel, colonel, and brevet brigadier-general, successively; admitted to the bar in 1865; appointed assistant city auditor of Cincinnati; member of the State house of representatives for two years; elected recorder of Hamilton County in 1867; appointed supervisor of internal revenue in 1868; delegate to the Republican national convention at Chicago in 1868; elected State senator in 1871; elected lieutenant-governor in 1875; succeeded President Hayes as governor of Ohio in 1877; elected to the Forty-sixth Congress as a Republican; reelected to the Forty-seventh Congress; died 20 Jul 1888 at Cincinnati, OH.
Young, Timothy R.
Was a native of New Hampshire; graduated from Bowdoin College in 1835; moved to Marshall, IL; elected a Representative from IL to the Thirty-first Congress as a Democrat.
Young, William A., 1860 –
William Young, of Norfolk, Virginia, was born there 17 May 1860; educated in the schools of Norfolk; and began the study of law; entered mercantile pursuits; chairman of the Democratic party of the city; clerk of the circuit and corporation courts of the city of Norfolk; delegate to the national Democratic convention at Chicago in 1892; claimed to have been elected to the Fifty-fifth and Fifty-sixth Congresses as a Democrat, but his seat was successfully contested in each by Richard A. Wise, Republican, who was seated 26 Apr 1898 and 26 Apr 1900.
Young, William S.
A native of Nelson Co, KY, he was elected a Representative from KY to the Nineteenth Congress as a Democrat.
Youngs of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania
From “History of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania and a Genealogical and Biographical Record of its Families,” by Charles Rhoads Roberts, et al, published 1914 by Lehigh Valley Publishing Co., Ltd., Allentown, PA, 1914.
Young Family of Allentown
“The Young family has figured prominently in the development of the Lehigh Valley for more than a century, representatives of the name leaving their impress upon the material progress, political, social, intellectual and moral advancement of Eastern Pennsylvania. The first of the name of whom we have record is Christian Young, who was proprietor of a store at Clader’s lime kilns in Hanover township, Lehigh county. He was a native of Milford township, Bucks county, PA, and in early manhood married Catherine Strassburger.
“After the birth of their son, Joseph, Christian returned with his family to Milford township, Bucks county, where he conducted a store and also engaged in the operation of a farm. Several years prior to his death he established a dyeing and weaving business and remained active in connection with that enterprise up to the time of his demise, which occurred when he was fifty-seven years of age. He was a member of the Mennonite Church.
“Joseph Young, son of Christian and Catherine Young, grandfather of Edward Mark Young, was born in Hanover township, Lehigh county, 31 Dec 1812, and was one of a family of thirteen children, eight sons and five daughters. In his early youth he accompanied his parents on their removal to Milford township, Bucks Co, and there learned the trade of dyeing and weaving with his father, but it did not prove a congenial occupation to him, and when he was a youth of fifteen he went to Bethlehem, where he learned the blacksmith’s trade with Mr. Warner.
“On the completion of his term of apprenticeship, he removed to Coopersburg, PA, where he engaged in blacksmithing until 1832. He then took up his abode in Allentown, and entered the employment of Joseph Kramer, a coach-maker doing business on Seventh street. Subsequently he was employed successively by Major William Fry and Stephen Barber, and on leaving the latter service he entered into partnership with Reuben Guth and Augustus L. Ruhe in the printing and book business. They were the publishers of the Lecha Patriot. Finally he retired from the firm and joined his former employer, Stephen Barber, in the establishment of a hardware store, which was one of the first business enterprises in Allentown.
“It developed with the growth of the city, becoming a large and profitable concern. Mr. Barber erected a building at No. 725 Hamilton street, into which the hardware stock was moved. Later the store was established at No. 740 Hamilton street, where the business is carried on at the present time (1914).
“The senior partner, Stephen Barber, died in 1860. Shortly before his death a new partnership was formed between Mark S. Young, Joseph Young, Reuben P. Steckel, and Edward B. Young, under the firm name of M.S. Young & Company. This title for the firm has continued to the present time, though a number of changes have taken place.
“Joseph Young was prominent and influential in public affairs in Allentown, and in 1838 became a charter member of the Humane Fire Company. He took part in the first firemen’s parade in Allentown on 26 Aug 1843, with Mayor Strauss as chief marshal. A cold water fight in the business center of the city ended the day’s sport. Hon. R.E. Wright, R. Strauss, and Joseph R. Newhard were also members of the company.
“In 1841-42-43-44 Joseph Young was a member of the town council, Charles Seip and Peter Newhard being the burgesses. During the last two years of his incumbency he was chairman of the board. His political support was given to the Whig party until its dissolution, when he joined the ranks of the new Republican party.
“He gave his time and means to advancement. In 1856, he was a delegate to the Republican national convention which nominated John C. Fremont as its first candidate for the presidency, and in 1860 was again a delegate, and in the latter convention he had serious discussions with Simon Cameron because of his stalwart championship of Abraham Lincoln.
“His life was ever actuated by honorable principles and noble purposes. In his youth he became an active and leading member, serving as deacon and as superintendent of the Sunday school. He labored earnestly for the advancement of the cause and the extension of its influence until failing health necessitated his retirement from church work as well as other activities of life.
“In 1834, Joseph Young was married to Hannah Blumer, a daughter of Henry Blumer and a granddaughter of Rev. Abraham Blumer, who was pastor of Zion Reformed church, Allentown, during the Revolutionary War. Their only son, Colonel Edward Blumer Young, was born in Allentown 6 Sep 1836, and pursued his education in Allentown Seminary under the instruction of Rev. Dr. Kessler.
“He was in his sixteenth year when he went to Bellefonte, Center Co, PA, and entered upon an apprenticeship at the watchmaker’s trade, covering a term of nearly three years. He never followed that pursuit, however, but returned home to enter the hardware store of Barber, Young & Co., in the capacity of clerk.
“He thus served until 1860, when he was admitted to a partnership and entered upon a career as a merchant that was at once successful and honorable. In his business affairs he was straightforward, prompt and reliable, and his enterprise and diligence were potent factors in the extension of the business, which became one of the leading mercantile interests in Allentown.
“In citizenship Colonel Young was equally enterprising and progressive, and gave earnest cooperation to every measure which he believed would contribute to the general good. He was called to various public offices, serving in early manhood as a member of the select council of Allentown from the second ward. For a number of years he was the treasurer of the Columbia Fire Company, and took a deep interest and great pride in the development of the excellent fire department of Allentown.
“His patriotic spirit and loyal devotion to his country were aroused and, in 1862, when the rebel troops invaded Pennsylvania, he entered the service with the state militia. In June 1863, upon the second invasion, he enlisted as first lieutenant of Company H, 27th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers. His regiment was subsequently mustered into the United States service and joined the Army of the Potomac at Waynesboro, participating in the engagement at Wrightsville.
“The public service, however, which most endeared Colonel Young to his townsmen was that he rendered them as mayor of Allentown. In the spring of 1876 he was nominated by the Republican party for the office of chief executive of the municipality, and after a stubborn contest was elected by a majority of sixty-nine votes. He was filling the office during the memorable riots of 1877, and so conducted the affairs of the city that he won the highest commendation of all law-abiding people.
“Bloodshed and riot occurred in other places, but Mayor Young, comprehending the gravity of the situation and realizing the responsibility which developed upon him, held the reins of government with firm hand, and maintained law and order, quelling the disturbing spirit that would have brought about scenes of violence. His administration is certainly one of the most notable in the history of Allentown.
“His influence in political circles, however, was not restricted to the city in which he made his home. He was recognized as one of the prominent Republicans of the state, and represented Lehigh county as a member of the State Central Committee. He was also chairman of the Republican county committee for a number of years and was frequently the representative of his county in the state conventions. In 1876 he was a delegate to the Republican national convention at Cincinnati, Ohio, and he served as an aide-de-camp on the staffs of Governor Hartranft and Governor Hoyt. He was also appointed one of the prison inspectors of Lehigh county, and his services were characterized in that board by the same excellent qualities ever manifest in his business and administrative relations.
“Political honors and emoluments, however, had little attraction for him, and he never sought office as a reward for party fealty, but gave his support to the principles which he believed contained the best elements of good government, working for his party because he believed it to be the duty as well as the privilege of every American citizen to support his honest political convictions. He was fearless in what he believed, yet was never bitterly aggressive, and he won the highest respect of his opposition as well as the leaders of his own party.
“The influence of Colonel Young was felt in equally strong measure in fraternal circles. He attained high rank in the Masonry, holding membership in Barger Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons; Allen Chapter, Number 203, Royal Arch Masons; Allen Council, No. 23, Royal and Select Masters; Allen Commandery, No. 20, Knights Templar; and Philadelphia Consistory, Sovereign Princes of the Royal Secret. He filled the highest office in each of the York Rite bodies, and was recognized as one of the best informed Masons in the tenets of the craft in the state.
“He was also an active member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and assisted in the organization of Post No. 87, Allentown, which since his death has been named in his honor. He was its first commander, and at the time of his demise was serving as quartermaster. His opinions carried weight in the Pennsylvania department, and he was at one time a member of the council of administration of the state and represented his post at many encampments. He gave freely of his means to the cause of Christianity, and although not a member, served as trustee of the Presbyterian Church.
“Colonel Young died 30 Dec 1879 in the 44th year of his age. His personal characteristics, his unfailing honor in business, political and social relations, and his loyalty to his honest convictions, endeared him to all with whom he was associated at the time of his death.
“He was survived by his wife and three children: Annie E., Harry J., and Edward M. Mrs. Young bore the maiden name of Mary Ann Kuhns, and was born in Allentown, PA. Her parents were Peter and Elizabeth (Knerr) Kuhns, and the latter was a daughter of Andrew and Catherine Elizabeth (Schall) Knerr. Andrew Knerr and his brother John were the only sons of Abraham Knerr, who was born in Germany in 1714, and migrated to Lehigh Valley in 1748, taking up three hundred acres of land in Lowhill township.
“Edward Mark Young, only living son of Colonel Edward B. and Mary Ann Young, was born in Allentown on 24 Sep 1866. Having acquired his early education in the public schools, he subsequently attended Muhlenberg College, until he had completed one-half the work of the junior year. He then entered upon his business career in the store of M.S. Young & Company, in order to become practically familiar with mercantile methods, and more especially that in use in the hardware trade. This business, with which his father was so long associated, and in which the family has been interested for more than sixty years, is successfully conducted at the present time (1914) by Edward M. Young and his partner, Wilson P. Ludwig.
“Mr. Young has extended his efforts to a number of other fields of labor. In November 1897 he assisted in organizing the Lehigh Portland Cement Company, was for a period of years its secretary and treasurer, and is now vice-president of this corporation. The twelve plants of this company have an annual capacity of over ten million barrels, and it is one of the largest companies in the world. For the past fifteen years Mr. Young has also been president of the Allentown Steam Heating and Power Co. He is a director in the Lehigh Valley Transit Co; he took an active part in the re-organization of the old Lehigh Valley Traction Co. and was the first vice-president of the new company. Like his father and grandfather, Edward Mark Young has been associated with the political, social, and civic life of Allentown… Mr. Young married 27 Jan 1891 to Kate R. Anewalt and they have had five children: Hannah M., Robert A., Joseph S., Caroline, and Edward M., Jr.
To be continued in the next issue of Born Young Newsletter