John A. Young, M.D., 1812-1874, Practiced in Monmouth, Illinois
From “The United States Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-made Men,” Illinois Volume, published by American Biographical Publishing Co., in Chicago, Cincinnati and New York, 1876
“John A. Young, a native of Chillicothe, Ohio, was born 1 Feb 1812 to William Young and Mary McKnight. His mother dying when he was thirteen years of age, he went to live with an uncle, James Young, at Hillsborough, OH, a conductor on the underground railroad. Here he passed several years, attending school during the winters and spending the summer months in farm work. After leaving his uncle, he spent some time in learning the tanner’s trade—it being the occupation of his father—and later went to Philadelphia and learned the currier’s trade.
“Going to Cincinnati in the spring of 1836, he was there so strongly advised and urged by his uncle, Samuel McKnight, that he relinquished his trade, and going to Xenia, began the study of medicine, his uncle defraying his expenses. By close application he made the three years’ course in two years, and in the spring of 1838, by reason of his proficiency, was passed by the examining board without a formal examination.
“After spending a few months in visiting his friends, in the ensuing autumn he set out on horseback for the West, and after a tedious journey arrived at the then new town of Monmouth, Illinois, on the 9th of January 1839, going via Chicago, then known as Fort Dearborn.
“After about two years of successful practice, he returned to Xenia, and on 16 Feb 1841 was married to Miss Isabella Wallace. Returning with his wife to Monmouth, he continued his practice, and during a period of thirty-five years he conducted a successful and influential practice.
“Dr. Young was a constant student, and never tired of indulging his natural fondness for scientific research. Geology, chemistry, meteorology, and other kindred subjects, were his special delight, and on them all his opinion was respected as authority.
“In his profession he made the diseases of women a specialty, and acquired by his skillful and successful management of cases, a most worthy standing in his profession. Of his professional ability it is not only requisite to say that he was constantly called in consultation on important cases in all parts of the State where he was known. During the cholera scourge of 1851, from overwork in attending to the wants of the sick, he himself suffered a severe attack.
“Dr. Young’s great literary taste and appreciation of educational advantage led him to become one of the prime movers in the organization of Monmouth College, of whose board of trustees he continued a member until within a short time of his death, which occurred at Mounmouth on 3 May 1874.”
Youngs in Greene County, Pennsylvania
From “History of Greene County, Pennsylvania,” by Samuel P. Bates, Chicago, 1888
“A.J. Young, farmer and stock grower, Rice’s Landing, Penn., was born in Washington County, 7 Feb 1831, and is a son of Abraham and Sarah (Rose) Young. His parents were natives of Washington and Greene counties, respectively, and of German and English ancestry. Mr. Young is the seventh in a family of ten children. He was reared in West Bethlehem Township, Washington County, and acquired his education from the common schools of his neighborhood.
“He chose farming as his occupation, and owns 165 acres of well improved land in Cumberland Township, Greene County, where he took up his abode in 1854. In the same year he was united in marriage with Miss Rachel, daughter of Joseph and Sarah (Swan) Ailes. The former was a native of Washington County, and the latter of Greene County, and a descendant of one of its earliest settlers. Mrs. Young’s great-grandfather, John Swan, settled on the farm now owned by A.J. Young in 1767, and had to build a fort to protect himself from the Indians.
“Mr. and Mrs. Young are devoted members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, the former ruling elder of the church. They are the parents of two children—Amy H., who died when four years old; and William A., a carpenter and farmer, residing on the home farm. He was united in marriage in 1884 with Miss Maggie M., daughter of Jacob and Rachel Braden, and they have one child, Walter B.”
“A farmer and stock grower, Rice’s Landing, PA, Morgan Young was born in Washington County, 8 Feb 1829, and is a son of Abraham and Hannah (Rose) Young. His parents were of Scotch-Irish and Dutch descent. His mother was a native of Greene County and his father, who was a farmer and stock-raiser during his lifetime, was born in Washington Co, PA. Both died on the same day in January 1853, his wife surviving him just four hours. They had a family of ten children. Morgan, who was the sixth, was reared on the farm, attended the common school, and has made farming the business of his life. He is the owner of a well improved farm consisting of two hundred and seventeen acres well stocked and kept in good condition.
“Mr. Young has been twice married; first, in 1850, to Harriet, daughter of Thomas M. and Maria (Phillips) Norris. Mrs. Young was of Dutch descent. They had four children: A.L., a teacher and farmer in Ohio; Amy M., wife of T.O. Bradbury; Mary Ellen; and James E. Their mother died in June 1876.
“Mr. Young’s second wife was Miss Emma, daughter of Aaron and Sarah (McCullough) Bradbury, who were of English descent. Mrs. Young’s father, now a farmer of this county, was for many years a farmer and tanner of Washington Co, PA. Mr. and Mrs. Young have one child, Harry H.B. In politics Mr. Young was a Democrat until 1884, since which time has been a strong Prohibitionist, and has filled various important offices in this township.
“He was justice of the peace for a period of ten years. They were both members of the Shepherds Methodist Episcopal Church, in which both were stewards, and Mr. Young has been trustee, superintendent of the Sabbath-school, and class leader for thirty years, until two years ago, when they united with the Methodist Episcopal Church at Rice’s Landing.”
Youngs & Youngers
of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania – Part II
From “History of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania and a Genealogical and Biographical Record of its Families,” by Charles Rhoads Roberts, et al, published 1914 by Lehigh Valley Publishing Co., Ltd., Allentown, PA, 1914.
(Continued from previous newsletter)
YOUNG FAMILY OF CATASAUQUA
“Daniel Young was a well digger in Maxatawny township, Berks county, PA. He was married and among his children was a son, Benneville, who is now an extensive truck farmer in Hanover township, Lehigh county, PA, and is married to Elizabeth, daughter of Reuben Moyer, of Longswamp township, Berks county, where he died at the age of 81 years, and is buried at the Longswamp church.
“Mr. and Mrs. Young have twelve children, among whom are Remeda, married to Oliver Fritch of Allentown; Mary; Annie; Jennie; Katie; Howard Oscar; and Harry R.
“Harry R. Young, the manufacturer of “Young’s Boiler Compound,” at Catasauqua, was born 25 Jan 1869 in Maxatawny township, Berks county. He was educated in the public schools and took a course in the Scranton Correspondence Schools in engineering. When he was a mere lad, he began picking gravel at the iron ore beds, and when fifteen years old he run (sic) an engine at the mines, a vocation he pursued up to 1888, when he became a master mechanic at the Bryden Horse Shoe Works at Catasauqua. He served in that position until 1906, when he became the superintendent of the plant, which responsible position he held until 1908, when he engaged in the manufacture of his boiler compound, being associated in this business with William J. McBride of Catasauqua. Mr. Young, in the sale of his products, travels all over the eastern part of the United States, selling direct to the consumers.
“He is identified with a number of fraternal societies. He is a member of the Knights of Malta; the P.O.S. of A.; treasurer for fifteen years of the Independent Order of Red Men, No. 204; the Haymakers; F.O.E.; and the Lehigh Council, No. 15, Order American Steam Engineers, having been one of its organizers and also represented the organization in their annual meetings at Philadelphia.
“Mr. Young was married to Miss Rosa A. Fehler, a daughter of George Fehler, whose history appears in this volume. They are members of the First Presbyterian Church, Catasauqua.
GEORGE H. YOUNG
“George H. Young, proprietor of the White Duck Coat and Apron Supply Company of Allentown, was born at Wilmington, DE on 7 Feb 1890. His father, Clinton B. Young, resides at Philadelphia, where he is the foreman painter of the Pullman Car Company, by whom he has been employed for forty years. He was married to Mary Ewing, daughter of George and Catherine Ewing of Philadelphia. They are the parents of three children: Ellen, married to John Wagner, resides at Glenside, PA, agent for Southern Despatch; George H.; and Clinton B., Jr., with the Vulcanite Portland Cement Company, Philadelphia.
“George H. Young received his education in the common schools and high schools of Philadelphia, the Central Manual Training School, of Philadelphia. He was employed by the Pullman Car Company as assistant store-keeper, after which he filled the position of cashier with the Penn Laundry at Philadelphia for two and one-half years.
“In the fall of 1913 he embarked in business for himself at 224 North Seventh street in Allentown, later moving to 35 South Seventh street, where he is located at present. Mr. Young make a specialty of loaning out white duck coats, aprons, and towels, charging his patrons only for laundering the same. The amount of business that has been worked up in the short time in which he is in business indicates the good work and prompt service which the company renders.
“Mr. Young is a member of the Episcopalian Church, and resides at 127 North Eighth street, Allentown, PA.”
If you are interested in these families, you might contact the
Lehigh County Historical Society
P. O. Box 1548
Allentown, PA 18105
YOUNG FAMILY OF
Jacob Young, the ancestor of a large family, was a native of East Allen Township, Northampton Co, PA. He was born 4 May 1772, did 28 Feb 1849, aged 76 years, 9 months and 24 days. He was a farmer in Moore Township and his large farm was situated at the forks above Bath. Connected with this property is a water right, which apparently now belongs to his large posterity.
“In 1812 he removed on a 400-acre tract, which he had bought on account of the excellent water and fine oak timber upon it. There he built a saw-mill which he operated for many years. The land in later years he divided amongst some of his sons.
“He was married to Elizabeth Seem, who hailed from one of the pioneer families of Northampton county. She was born 10 Jan 1776 and died 22 Jun 1857, aged 81 years, 5 months and 12 days. They were members of the Lutheran church and are buried at the Moorestown church graveyard. They had nine children, all sons, namely: Jacob, George, Abraham, Peter, William, Joseph, Charles, Christian, and Reuben.
TOO MUCH YOUNG IN ONE FAMILY?
“…It is related that the father of these sisters heartily approved of the first and second marriage, but when the third union was about to be consummated he became vexed and exclaimed, “This is too much Young in one family,” and by no means would allow a fourth daughter to marry another brother of that family…’”
“Three of the above sons, George, Abraham, and Christian, were married to three sisters, daughters of the late Peter Steckel, a successful farmer, tanner and justice of the peace of Moore township. It is related that the father of these sisters heartily approved of the first and second marriage, but when the third union was about to be consummated he became vexed and exclaimed, “This is too much Young in one family,” and by no means would allow a fourth daughter to marry another brother of that family.
“Christian Young, son of Jacob, was born 21 Feb 1802, died 22 Jan 1885, aged 82 years, 11 months and 1 day. He was a farmer and owned several large farms. By trade he was a cooper. He was a hunter and good fisherman. It is related that one day he went out hunting with his faithful dog and soon they found the tracks of a deer, which he shot, but the animal ran up aong the mountain side, continually showing by its trail in the snow that it was becoming weaker from the loss of blood. The hunter followed the trail up across the mountain and down the other side. Darkness had now set in, the snow was deep and the night was cold, but the hunter was bent to take along home to his waiting family, the game for which they had long hoped. He found the deer, which proved to be a big fat buck. He dragged him up the mountainside, across the top and down the mountain slope, reaching home in the morning of the following day, being hungry and tired. His devoted and good helpmate greeted him at the door. That morning the family feasted on venison for its breakfast.
“Christian Young became a valuable citizen in his community, which he served in the school board for many years, and afterward he served as county commissioner. He and his wife, Lydia, a daughter of Peter Steckel, lie buried in the old Emmanuel church graveyard, near Petersville. She was born 22 Nov 1800, and died 15 Feb 1886, aged 86 years, 2 months and 23 days. They had four children, namely: 1) Maria, married to John P. Deemer, a farmer of Moore township; 2) Charles, married to Christiana Heckman, was a farmer in Moore township; 3) Elizabeth, who became the wife of Dr. C.O. Yoch, a very able physician who lived in the upper end of the county; and 4) William H.
“William H. Young, son of Christian and father of A.C. Young, was born 30 Nov 1831, and died at Allentown on 8 Mar 1902. He was married to Sabina Sigel, a daughter of Simon and Eva (Freeman) Sigel. She was born in 1831 and died in 1906. They are buried in the Moorestown cemetery. They were pious people. Mr. Young was a member of the Lutheran and his wife of the Reformed Church.
“In the winter of 1855-56, they bought a farm situated in Moore township, from Christian Young; this they occupied in the spring of 1856, and with the exception of one year they lived upon it until in April 1903 when they moved to No. 440 North Ninth street, Allentown, where Mr. Young died within that year. His wife followed him four years later. They reared the following children, namely: Asry C.; Henrietta, married to Peter Fehnel; Andrew J.; Sarah, married to Jacob, a brother of Peter Fehnel; Alvin; Ellen J.; and Asher W., who is an assistant to the manager in the John Wanamaker store in New York.
“A.C. Young, the efficient secretary and treasurer of the Bethlehem Trust Company, is a native of Moore township, Northampton county, and was born 4 Jul 1856. He attended the public school of his native place and also the Keystone State Normal School, from which he graduated in 1876 with honor, being the youngest male member in his class. He was then a teacher in the latter named school for six months, and taught one term in the Moore township schools. He was teacher of the Siegfried school for three years.
“He then embarked in the mercantile business at Cross Roads, with J.H. Scholl, his brother-in-law; there he continued for two and one-half years. From 1883 to 1890, he conducted a general store at Pen Argyl. During that time he opened and developed the Excelsior slate quarry of Northampton county, and was secretary and treasurer for about five years.
“In 1890 he disposed of his interests in the Excelsior Slate Quarry to William Masters, after a successful career in that industry. In 1890 also sold his general store to his brother, Andrew J. Young, which was the leading store in the town. He then organized the First National Bank, at Pen Argyl, PA, of which he was cashier until 1904. The bank had a capitalization of $50,000, which was increased in 1900 to $100,000. At the time Mr. Young resigned as cashier the stock sold at seventy dollars above its par value. He has been a member of the board of directors since its organization to the present time, one-fourth century. This bank is one of the strongest financial institutions in the slate region. In 1904 he was induced by a group of Philadelphia capitalists to organize what is now the Franklin Trust Company, of that city. He was its treasurer for two years. During the later period he formulated plans for organizing the Bethlehem Trust Company, which was accomplished in 1906, of which institution he is the secretary and treasurer as well as its moving spirit. This banking house is now about seven years old, but its stock is selling at sixty dollars above par.
“…They were former members of the St. John’s Lutheran church at Pen Argyl. He and his family now hold membership in the Trinity Lutheran church, West Side, Bethlehem…”
“Mr. Young is fathering a movement at the present time for the erection of a $25,000 Memorial Home for the Aged and Infirm, at Hecktown, PA.
“A.C. Young was married in 1880 to Miss Ellen C. Scholl, daughter of the late James and Catharine (Lawfer) Scholl. They have the following children: 1) Amy May, a graduate of the Philadelphia Conservatory of Music and also of the University of Berlin, Germany. She earned and holds the title of Doctor of Music. In 1913 she was elected to the position of Director of Music in the Broaddus College at Phillipi, WV; 2) Carrie A., a graduate of the Pen Argyl high school, and Pierce Business College at Philadelphia. She held an important position with the Bethlehem Steel Company for six years, when she was married to Lewis C. Haas, an assistant to one of the department heads; 3) Robert J., a graduate of the Philadelphia grammar school, the Bethlehem Preparatory School, and completed a course in chemical engineering at the Lehigh University. He was employed for a time with the Taylor Steel & Iron Co. at Latrobe, PA, until 1914. He is married to Emily I. Wescoe.
“Mr. Haas and Robert J. Young are also members of the Masonic Fraternity…”
For more information about this area you might contact:
Northampton County Historical & Genealogical Society
101 So. 4th Street, Easton PA 18042
“Henry C. Younger of the firm of Koch & Younger, dealers in hay, grain, feed, etc. is a grandson of Casper Younger, a native of Bavaria, was born in 1790 and migrated with his parents, settling in Lehigh County.
“He served as an officer in the war of 1812. He was a carpenter by trade, and followed his vocation very successfully, both in Philadelphia and in the Lehigh Valley.
“He married Catherine Fink of Upper Saucon, and had children: Elizabeth, Elias Edward, Louisa (Mrs. Samuel Eberts), and William. He died in 1869 in his 79th year.
“William was born 25 Nov 1825 in Upper Saucon, but as an infant removed with his parents to Philadelphia. Here he received the rudiments of an English education and learned the art of a silversmith. At the age of 18 he returned to Upper Saucon and with his uncle, John Berger, engaged in milling enterprises.
“At the breaking out of the Mexican War he enlisted in Company B, Third United States Dragoons, under Capt. Butler. This company was principally engaged in guarding supply trains and occasionally in skirmishing. Their camps being successively at Palo Alto, Matamoras, and Mier, at the head of the Rio Grande. At the expiration of eighteen months the company was discharged in July 1848, at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri.
“For a brief period, Mr. Younger engaged in the pursuit of his trade, but in 1850 the roving spirit again seized him and he went to California, returning in 1852. The following year he made a second trip to California. In 1855 he came to Catasauqua and entered into partnership with Milton Berger in operating Biery’s Mill. His partner having died in 1871, Mr. Younger purchased his interests and continued operating the mill. He introduced the modern methods and machinery and enjoyed a large and profitable trade.
“In 1857 he was married to Isabella Kurtz, a daughter of Henry Kurtz of Hanover Township. Their children are: Amanda L.; Emma J. (deceased); William (deceased); Grand R. (deceased); Henry C. (born 1869 at Catasauqua); Ada I.; Esther A.; and Ralph. He was a member of the Lutheran church. In 1892 he retired from the milling business, and was succeeded by Uriah Kurtz. His wife died 6 Jun 1897 after an illness of three days; both lie buried at Schonersville…”
Willamette Valley, Oregon
From “Portrait and Biographical Record of the Willamette Valley, Oregon (Containing Original Sketches of Many Well Known Citizens of the Past and Present), Part 2,” Chapman Publishing Co., Chicago, 1903
GEORGE W. YOUNG
Born 1828 in Richland County, Ohio
“Among the veteran pioneers of Linn county who have spent the better part of their lives within its precincts, aiding in every possible way its growth and development, G.W. Young, now living retired in Albany, stands pre-eminent, having a good record for length of days, and for long-continued and useful activity.
“After his marriage he migrated to this state, bravely daring all dangers and privations incidental to life in an undeveloped country in order to pave the way for those who followed, and to establish a home where his children and their descendants might enjoy the comforts, and even the luxuries, of this world without the labor and toil in which his earlier years were spent. “
Wild animals of all kinds were then numerous and destructive, and the majority of the residents lived in log cabins of the typical pioneer style. These have long since been replaced by substantial modern structures, and the land, having been brought to a high state of cultivation, yields abundantly of the grains and fruits common to this region. The small hamlets have grown into thriving towns, villages and cities, and prosperity smiles on every side. A native of Ohio, George W. Young was born in Richland county, 4 Nov 1828, a son of Benjamin Young.
“Of stanch New England ancestry, Benjamin Young was born and reared in Connecticut. Removing to Ohio when a young man, he worked at the cooper’s trade until 1837, when he settled in Knox County, IL, where he was actively engaged in coopering and farming until his death. His wife, whose maiden name was Sarah Mesmore, was born in Ohio, and died in Illinois. Of their large family of children, ten grew to years of maturity, and eight—five girls and three boys—survive. One son, John Young, went to the front during the Civil War as a volunteer in an Illinois regiment, and died while in service.
“The second son of the parental household, G.W. Young, was brought up and educated in Illinois, attending school in the old log schoolhouse. While yet a lad he acquired a good knowledge of agriculture, also becoming familiar with the cooper’s trade by working in the shop with his father in bad weather. He subsequently learned the carpenter’s trade, at which he worked for awhile, remaining at home until reaching his majority.
“The following six years he was engaged in farming for himself, first in Knox Co, IL, then in Peoria Co, and again in Knox Co. In the spring of 1853, influenced partly by love of travel, and partly by a desire to try to “hazard of new fortunes,” he started for the Pacific coast. Leaving IL in March, with one wagon, which was drawn by four yoke of oxen, he, with his wife and one child, crossed the Missouri River at Council Bluffs on April 6, and there took the old Oregon trail, coming along the Barlow route, and arriving in Linn County in October.
“Locating in Sweet Home valley, Mr. Young took up a donation land claim of 160 acres and later purchased 160 acres on Sand Ridge, about 14 miles from Albany, and at once began the establishment of a homestead. Clearing and improving a large tract, he met with good success in his agricultural labors, and has since owned many different estates, buying and selling at a profit, at one time having a clear title to 700 acres of fine land.
“In 1866 he removed to Albany, where he has since resided, a prosperous and highly esteemed citizen. For eight or ten years he carried on a good business as a contractor and builder, being especially interested in bridge contracting, and doing a great deal of work for the county, having charge of the construction of many of the bridges in Linn county.
“Although he has lived in Oregon a full half century, Mr. Young never lost interest in the home and friends of his youth, but on two occasions has visited the east, going first in 1872, and again in 1883.
“While living in Illinois, Mr. Young married for his first wife Clarinda Simons, who was born in NY State, and died in Lebanon, OR. Of the children born of their union, one daughter is living, namely: Malinda, wife of John H. Clelen of Albany. To John H. Clelen and wife having been born four children—three of whom are living: Otto, an engineer of Albany, married Anna Reninger and has two children, John and Grace; Edna, wife of Charles G. Rawlings of Albany; they have two daughters, Madaline and Ruth; Benjamin, resides in Albany; Georgiana died at the age of one year.
“Mr. Young’s second wife was Miss Rose Clark, who was born in Princeton, IL, of New England ancestors. Her father, Joseph S. Clark, was born and reared in New Hampshire, where he learned the trade of a brick mason. Subsequently removing to IL he lived for a while in Princeton, then came to Oregon, locating in Albany in 1874, where he followed his trade for many years, living in this city until his death. He married Harriet Richards, a native of Medina county, OH and they became the parents of 11 children, nine of whom grew to years of maturity, and seven of whom are now living.
“Mr. Young has had a busy life as well as a prosperous one, his success in the accumulation of property being entirely due to his own energy, perseverance, good judgment and honest business principles. Politically he is a sound Democrat. Fraternally he is a member and past officer of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF), which he joined in 1855; of the Encampment and of the Oregon Pioneer Association”
Jo Daviess County, Illinois
From “The History of Jo Daviess County, Illinois: containing a History of the County, Its Cities, Towns, Etc.,” Chicago: H.F. Kett & Co., 1878.
YOUNG, Andrew J.
of Nora Township
“Of the firm of Young & Waddington, dealers in hardware, Nora Township; born in Herkimer Co, NY 27 May 1849; in 1852 he, with his parents, emigrated to Stephenson Co, IL. Some years after he was engaged in the butter trade in Lena, under the firm name of Newcome & Young; in 1870 he came to Nora, and in 1871 commenced the hardware trade in his present store. He married Mary Waddington 27 May 1874; she was born in Williamson Co, IL on 11 Mar 1851; they have one child, Minnie.
YOUNG, Charles M. & YOUNG, John S.
of Elizabeth Township
“YOUNG, Charles M., Farmer, section 4; P.O. Avery. Born in Mercer Co, PA 24 Jun 1836; came to this county in 1855; served three years and eight months in the Union army during the War of the Rebellion; enlisted at first call for 3 months’ troops, in Co. I (Jo Daviess Guards), 12 Regt. I.V.I.; discharged at expiration of time; enlisted again under Maj. Avery, 1 Oct 1861; was in many severe engagements, Little Rock, Camden, Hartville, Saline, charge of Chalk Bluff, etc.; during the advance on Camden was under fire of the enemy 26 days out of 30; was honorably discharged. Married Miss Nancy E. Reed 30 Jun 1865; she was born in Washington Co, PA. They have five children: John T., Chas. J., Charity M., Annie May, and Ida Clara.
YOUNG, John S., Farmer, section 4; P.O. Avery; born in Mercer Co, PA 22 Jul 1838; came to this county in 1854. Mr. Young’s mother still lives in Galena at the age of 72. He married Miss Amanda M. Keithly in 1859; she was born in MO and came to this county when she was quite young. They have nine children: Horace H., born 25 Aug 1860; Chas. L., 19 Aug 1861; Ettie A., 23 Mar 1863; Elmer E., 15 Jun 1866; Minnie L., 30 Nov 1867; Wilber R., 24 Sep 1869; Lillie S., 22 Apr 1872; Bertie May, 25 Sep 1873; Edna Beatrice, 12 Nov 1877. Mr. Young has taught school every winter but one since 1858. He served as school director for many years, as Assessor for two years, Collector one year, and at present time is Supervisor of Elizabeth Township.
of Hanover Township
YOUNG, Henry, butcher, resides at Hanover.
YOUNG, Jonathan, Farmer, section 3; Bellevue, IA. Born in Manchester, NH on 3 Jan 1825. Married Miss Margaret Ann Moore in Aug 1846; she was born in the same city 12 Feb 1829; removed to Dubuque, IA in 1858; to Delaware Co in 1859; lived in Londonderry nineteen years before coming West. Came to this county in 1861. Owns 140 acres of land; deals extensively in stock. They have four children living: Israel H.; Lucy E.; Addie A.; and David H.
YOUNG, Z. H. , a teacher, resides in Hanover.